Friday, June 18, 2010

Crazy Love

If you haven't yet read "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, it's time to put it on the "to read" list. It's our new devotional book for counselors for the 2010-2011 theme, "Feed the Fire". It's a great book, chock full of to-the-point and convicting ideas. I'm rereading it right now. The first time I read it was on the plane on the way home from ACTS Training in April. I marked my whole copy up with a pen, underlining stuff, starring Scripture verse references, etc. Now I'm going through again, paying special attention to my notes and marks and looking up all the references in my Bible.

This morning I read a section with Matthew 22:37-38, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."

Chan was talking about how we often read Scripture and do our quiet time with God because if we don't we feel guilty. We've been taught to have that daily time and we feel we have failed when we don't. Chan's point is that when we truly LOVE God, we run to spend time with Him. Notice that Jesus' command wasn't to have quiet time with Him every day. Jesus' command was to LOVE Him. When we do that, we naturally spend time in prayer and in the Word. In other words, We don't love God because we study His Word; we study His Word because we love God.

Think about that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment