Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Whatever is Admirable

"This is what the LORD says ­– Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God." 
Isaiah 44:6 

When you think about God, what thought pops in your mind first and most? What is He best known for by the words you speak to yourself and the words you speak to others? Thoughtfully answer this before reading the next sentence.

A.W. Tozer said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”

Jesus asked His disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied that some people thought He was John the Baptist, others thought that He was Elijah, and still others thought He may be Jeremiah or one of the prophets.

Then Jesus separated public opinion from personal conviction. He got personal and asked, “What about you? Who do you say I am?”

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:13-16).

What you think about God is critically important. We must recognize that His Name, His works, His attributes, and His glory cannot be separated. And when we rightly think about our admirable God, we will be changed and His reputation will be on display in our lives. The ripple effect is that as His fame and reputation grows and spreads worldwide, other people’s lives will be changed, too.

Think on the admirable (Philippians 4:8) names of God.

I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32:28) Think on His name in your hardship.

I am your shield, your very great reward (Genesis 15:1). Think on His name in your battle against the enemy.

I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you (Isaiah 41:13). Think on His name in this moment’s worries and fears.

I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more (Isaiah 43:25). Think on His name in your guilt.

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10a). Think on His name now.

Think on it: What do your words and life demonstrate to the world about what you think about God?

God revealed each of His names in a specific situation where one of His people had a special need. The name that was revealed related to the aspect of His character that would provide the solution to the problem that person was facing.
Dick Purnell

grace and peace,
Lenae

No comments:

Post a Comment