Saturday, July 13, 2013

As we prepare...

As we prepare our hearts for conference, here's another devotional on our new theme...

The Great Exchange
“Has a nation ever changed its gods? (Yet they are no gods at all.) But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols. Be appalled at his, O heavens, and shudder with great horror,” declares the LORD.
Jeremiah 2:11

Currently there’s a Yoplait yogurt ad that features a women’s book club.  Ladies are sharing stories in a living room when one woman notices the table of goodies and faces a choice. Will she choose a heart-shaped cookie or Yoplait yogurt? She doesn’t miss what the advertisers define as a swap•por•tu•ni•ty. She swaps the opportunity to grab a high-calorie snack for the 90-calorie yogurt. Swap•por•tu•ni•ty.

What a swap•por•tu•ni•ty is for snacks is appalling sin when we exchange God’s greatness and glory for other gods. Israel abandoned the one true God for worthless idols, and we have to confess that we do the same.

Our idols may not look like a golden calf, Baal, or Asherah, but the exchange is as horrific. When someone or something takes God’s rightful place as Lord of our lives, it becomes an idol. Food, sex, entertainment, health, money, achievement, even good things like family and service to the Kingdom can become idols when we exchange them for God and His glory.
The question is asked, “Who’s the greatest?” And we answer rightly, “God, of course.”

Fill in the blanks and see if your answer measures plumb with your life:
  • When I’m stressed out I ________________________.
  • I’m happiest when ______________________________.
  • My number one priority right now is to ___________.
Be honest. I don’t know about you, but my answers pain me. I want to always say I run to God when I’m stressed, I’m happiest when I’m aware of His presence and approval, and my number one priority is to love God and then people, but what I want to say and how I live can be very different.

If you also have to confess that God is not always the One who is sitting on the throne of your heart, through Christ we’re given undeserved opportunity to swap our sin for His grace. If we confess our sins, God, who is faithful and just, will swap our sin and unrighteousness for His forgiveness and purification (1 John 1:9).

He>i: Have you exchanged God and His greatness for a worthless idol(s)? If so, what needs to take place next for your heart to be His royal throne?

The higher a man is in grace, the lower he will be in his own esteem.
Charles Spurgeon 
grace and peace,

Lenae

No comments:

Post a Comment