Friday, January 31, 2014

More interview questions with Sara Lynne Hilton

If you had to pinpoint the main theme of The Micah Road Mysteries series, what would it be?
I think it would be that our lives have meaning and purpose beyond our line of sight. I want kids to know that their lives matter now—not just when we are grown. I hope kids walk away from the books with an understanding that the things they do and say matter. The way they treat each other matters.

You often write and speak about history and injustice. How do kids respond to this? 
I love talking to kids about injustice and their role in making things right. I find that most kids have an innate sense of justice. Ask most parents and they’ll probably tell you that their kids very willingly share what is not fair! This innate sense means kids tend to get really passionate when they learn about injustices like slavery.

The key is to bridge history with what is going on in their lives. For instance, when I talk to kids about slavery, most of them get fired up and tell me how they would have worked on The Underground Railroad. So I bridge it by saying, “Hey, I love the way you are talking. I love your passion and courage. Did you know that there are injustices in the world today? You can’t work on The Underground Railroad, so let’s fid a way to use your passion and courage today.” Then the kids and I brainstorm ways to make a difference in their own worlds. 

What is your favorite part about being a writer?
I love talking to kids after they’ve read one of my books. I recently did a school visit where all the kids had read Shadows in Tenebray Forest in advance of my visit. Hearing the kids talking about the characters and debating the choices the characters made was an unbelievable experience. To have the chance to see how my work has left my arms and is out there in the world is extremely gratifying. 

Tell us about the We Walk Tour coming to Abbotsford on February 8.
The We Walk Tour is a three-hour mother daughter event. The tour is hosted by GEMS Girls’ Clubs, which is a dynamic international club program for young girls. For years GEMS has encouraged girls to find their voices and to become activists for Christ no matter their age. The tour is an extension of this. It’s really a call for girls to avoid the lure of indifference and apathy and silence.

The We Walk Tour challenges girls to stand up for what they believe in, even when the world does not value their voices. The event will open with great praise and worship, I’ll be speaking, we’ll have videos, and interactive object lessons. There is a mom-only session led by two amazing women and I’ll be leading a girl-only session. There is a craft, a snack, more praise and worship, prizes and giveaways. It’s a fun and meaningful morning where girls can better understand that their small acts, in the hands of Jesus, can be the catalyst for huge change in the world.

The event is on February 8 at Gateway Community Church in Abbotsford. Tickets are $15 per ticket and can be purchased through House of James, Blessings Christian Marketplace, Tourism Abbotsford or through at itickets.com http://www.itickets.com

You can also find information on my website. gemsgc.org/mrm.

No comments:

Post a Comment